[Towertalk] Radial "fan out"/forking - MMANA model wanted

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Radial "fan out"/forking - MMANA model wanted
From: dxmonger@yahoo.com (Pat Rundall)
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 11:31:52 -0800 (PST)
For me at least, this remains in my mind as
an "unsolved antenna mystery". A few have
asked "why bother messing around with the
forked radials idea - just put down 60 1/4 wl
radials and get it over with?"

In my case, I'm considering forked radials (at
least, a minimal amount of wire and "stuff to
duck under when mowing the lawn) for a Butternut
vertical on a mast mount (at ~10' to 20' height)
with the radials sloping to ground. 60 .25wl
radials sloping to ground at ~30 degrees from a
height of 15' turns a simple secondary antenna
into a rather complex one. Assuming that
because it is mast mounted and off the ground
(the radials are somewhat elevated to begin
with), perhaps a greatly reduced number of radials
eminating from the mast would suffice.

I'd like to eventually model this, but the only
modeling package that I have at the moment is
the FREE one - MMANA (a fun free modeler - check
out http://www.qsl.net/mmhamsoft/mmana/) which
probably isn't ideal for this sort of thing.

Once I get around to it, I'd like to model
"standard forking"...
where A=B=C=D=(~.125 wl) and A slopes to ground
from 10' at the mast (M) at ~40 degrees.

               /
            B /
             /
      A     /   C
  M-----------------
            \
             \
            D \
               \

"multiband forking"...
where A=.125 wl on say 40m and ~.06 wl on 80m,
B=.19wl on 80m (to finish the 1/4 wl), C=.125wl
on 40m, etc.

"upclose forking"...
where A is very close to the mast (a 45 degree
slope) and forks as soon as A hits the ground.

and finally "reverse forking"...
I doubt this makes any sense at all.

         ^
       A/ \
       /   \
  C   /  D  \
      \     /
       \   /
        \ /B

In fact, I have my doubts about quite a bit of
this (especially the multiband forking - which
electrically needs a lot of work), but it should
give me something to do while waiting for the
ground to thaw to actually try this stuff.

Pat, N0HR