[Towertalk] Antenna choices in a restricted neighborhood

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Antenna choices in a restricted neighborhood
From: bill@axelrods.org (Bill Axelrod)
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2002 21:37:27 -0500
I'm looking to tap the collective wisdom of this group.  I live in an
antenna restricted neighborhood.  (Please no flames - there are real reasons
why some of us live like this)  While transmitting antennas are not allowed,
I have been able to put up two - a Gap Titan and a G5RV as an inverted Vee
with the apex at 36 ft.  My back yard is rectangular, about 95 feet by 40
feet.  The vertical has been up for about 7 years so I figure I'm pretty
safe from the Antenna Police.

While I've done marginally well with this setup (~285 countries and DXCC on
all bands 80 through 10), I know my set up is far from optimum.  I want to
do better.  Short of putting up a tower and beam which surely would attract
the Antenna Police, I'm looking for ideas on what I could do to get the best
antennas I can in my available space and within the restrictions given.
That limits me to two ~36 ft support poles and two PCV pipes at 10 ft
holding the ends of the Vee  (similar in visibility to what I have now).
I'd like to avoid (or minimize) the use of a tuner to aloow quick QSYs.
Now, I use the Gap from 40 to 10 and keep the Vee tuned to 80 meters.  Cost
is not the limiting factor.

I would appreciate any ideas the group may have.

Thanks and 73...   Bill K3WA   bill@axelrods.org