[Towertalk] Yaesu indicator

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Yaesu indicator
From: dhb@mediaone.net (Dave, AA6YQ)
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 21:59:20 -0800
The 2800 rotator controller circuit is, to be polite, a kludge. Besides
serving as reference library for bad logic design, slight bends in the
dial pointer assembly's electromechanical sensors can cause all manner
of strange behavior. All that junk from the rotator motor driver back
could be replaced by a an 805X microprocessor and a commodity LCD
display -- at a fraction of the cost, not to mention radically-improved
reliability and a "free" RS232 interface. I spent my early years
designing and debugging commercial minicomputers, microprocessors, and
associated peripheral interfaces, but never could get this "simple"
rotator controller to operate reliably. I finally replaced it with an M2
Orion, which has served flawlessly.

    73,

       Dave, AA6YQ