[Towertalk] CRANK UP TOWERS - Not a panacea

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] CRANK UP TOWERS - Not a panacea
From: ny9h@arrl.net (Bill Steffey)
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 00:34:45 -0600
"Meanwhile, several thousand listeners tuned in to WDCB 90.0 GM at
Glenellyn, Illinois, were left with nothing but static for a after wind
blew down a 310-foot antenna tower. A 50 ' back-up antenna was activated
three days later, and the station admits it needs to move forward plans to
install a $100,000 replacement antenna originally scheduled for
spring."  (  This also was home to a 2 mtr repeater system. )

I don't think this can happen to my US Tower crankup ; provided I maintain
the cable assembly. Do they ever collapse into themselves, unless the cable
busts.

I use a ladder to get to the 22ft level. What am I reading about fingers &
toes?? I thought climbing up any crankup was a BIG  NO NO.
Working at 22ft is just like working at the top of my 50" Universal.
Very dangerous, if you fall.
bill

Ps. Both the Village and my wife would toss me out if a fixed tower more than
zoning allows ( 60' w antennas) tried to sprout up here.
I think the case is being made FOR the crankups.
But if I could put up a TALL rohn 45; it would be a different proposition.