[Towertalk] CRANK UP TOWERS - Not a panacea

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] CRANK UP TOWERS - Not a panacea
From: aa4lr@arrl.net (Bill Coleman)
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 15:46:46 -0500
On 3/15/02 4:13 AM, Jim White, K4OJ at k4oj@tampabay.rr.com wrote:

>"Convince me a fall from a fixed tower is 'safer' than a step ladder."
>
>Oh I get it - that is what this is about - Fear of Falling!

I just as soon not fall off of either.

There's a great quote from the Motorcycle Safety Foundation materials
somewhere. "Q: How fast do you have to be going to receive a fatal injury
from a motorcycle? A: Zero mph. If you fall over and your unprotected
head hits the pavement, it can induce a fatal brain injury."

Jim's right. I can (and do!) take a number of precautions against falls
from my fixed tower. I can't say the same for my stepladder.

--

I don't think the problem here is crank-ups or fixed towers. The main
problem is improper use of the structures. If everyone followed the LXC

            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901