[Towertalk] LPDA stacking distance?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] LPDA stacking distance?
From: coneal@ma.ultranet.com (Chuck O'Neal)
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 20:53:33 -0500
Hi Jim,

That stacking method has been used for VHF antennas and only
works in the "free space" that VHF and UHF antennas see many
wavelengths above ground.  At HF, the ground reflection is important
and the antenna must be parallel to the ground to achieve maximum gain.
Tilting the boom of a log (or yagi) tilts the "image" antenna as well and
reduces the gain without changing the radiation angle.  W2PV's book
on Yagi design overs this topic very well and the same theory applies
to LPDAs.

I agree that 33 ft spacing would be good for short boom LPDAs (20 ft or
less in boom length) but as you go for longer boom lengths, as in yagis,
the spacing must go up to achieve the maximum available gain from stacking.

The ability to control vertical take off angle is far more important than
the directivity you would get with a long boom.  I would always
take 1/2 the boom length and make two antennas stacked ( to take
advantage of vertical angle control) rather than one long boom.  At
HF the vertical incoming and outgoing angles can make 10 to 20
dB difference!!!

73,
Chuck...
K1KW