[Towertalk] FOK

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] FOK
From: A9xw@cs.com (A9xw@cs.com)
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 12:02:59 EST
Fold over kit is no longer available for Rohn towers. I have been
contimplating making my own. I have a 45G tiltover Rohn FOK, and want to tilt
over a 70' 55G tower that will hold an IIX 18' mast,  Big Yeasu rotor and new
(still in the boxes) Mosley 40-10 meter  monster and a 6 element KLM 6 meter
beam.  I bought two section of 25 G thinking to use that as the cantilever
arm since Rohn no longer makes the cantilever kit and no parts are avilable
either.  i would attach the 25 to the 55 using 2" steel C channel and good U
bolts, leg to leg on all three legs at the end, middle and joint area. Then
use more C channel to make the hinges using the bolt holes in the 55 and
maybe add another a few inches lower, and some 1" or so grade 8/9 bolts as
the actual hinges for the mating lower (support) section.  Finally, run some
C channel as splints over the 25g joints so there is additional strength
there.  At the cable end of the 25 g cantilever arm, tie all three legs
together with C channel and use the new cross braces as the attachment point
for the winch.   Anyone else ever try this for a home made tilt over, or have
a better idea?  no I cannot trash the new 70' 55G and get a heights or other
aluminum tilt over tower for $12 grand.

Henry AA9XW