[Towertalk] FOK (Rohn Foldover Tower)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] FOK (Rohn Foldover Tower)
From: A9xw@cs.com (A9xw@cs.com)
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 15:36:00 EST
The Rohn 45 tower I put up originally with the 24 foot fold over point, and
was 70 feet total, with the 8 Msquare 440 and 4 M Square 2 meter (biggest
model) the M aquare elevation rotor (big wheel with chain drive) 4 verticals
on top with the IIX 18' mast and yeasu big rotor.  there were also 4 1296
Downeast loop yagis and a 3 panel 8 bay Lindsay LPTV antenna on it.  It was
hard to crank but stayed up.  When I moved, I just put the 2/440 DX array on
it, but moved the fold over point to 40 feet so it was (when folded) 40 feet
up and 40 feet down.  The mast tip just touched the ground at the base of the
tower.  I had to pull the mast away with the truck to get enough angle that
the winch cable wasn't trying to collapse the tower leg with a 2' long
section of C channel as a backup support on the tower leg!   I would like to
move the fold over point lower but there is no place closer to run the guy
wires that have to clear a driveway and a 14 position parking lot.  So I have
two "short guys on the back side and two very "long" guys on the front side.
The second tower is self supporting at 56' and will go next to the new shack
building/garage, and the third tower is the 55G 70'  to hold the HF and 6
array (40-6) and the far end of some wire antennas. it is located so I can
fold over at 20 or 30 feet, but prefer 20 feet so the antennas are a little
easier to work on since it will span over the entire garden railroad rather
than come down in the middle of it!  the GRR is 50 x 70 feet and fits between
the parking lot the sidewalk to the dog kennel building and the driveway to
the kennel building, and the kennel building. the kennel is 5000 sq ft and
120' long.  You would think that with 5 acres it would be easy to place
towers,  only if I want them far far away in the back 3 acres, up to a 1/4
mile from the house!  maybe one or two at the far end for 160 and VLF!   I
calculated the sag and with a 100' tower at the south end I could run a
sloper to the top of the 1000' TV tower that is mine 1.6 miles away!  One
very heavy back guy to keep from pulling the 100' over! And the sloper would
likely break of its own weight!

73

Henry AA9XW