[Towertalk] F-12 XR5 and 5BA

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] F-12 XR5 and 5BA
From: ka2d@arrl.net (Tom Carrubba KA2D)
Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2002 08:04:46 -0500
John

Last month I put up a F12 XR-5. It replaced a Mosley PRO-57B. I have been using
the PRO-57B for ten years without any problems. I changed over to deduct weight
and WL from tower and to upgrade to the newer "trapless" technology.

I have it on a 40ft tubular tower at 45 ft.

My observations are; FYI, these are not measured, just my observations.
F12 pattern is tighter front to side; I have to turn the antenna to work
Caribbean when facing EU. Front to Back is a little better from XR-5 to PRO57B.
The XR-5 overall has better ears. Less fading, a little quieter. Forward gain
is slightly better. I feel I have moved up a few notches based on getting into
big pileups.

Assembly was routine F12, all went together without any problems. We did have
to retune 10, 15 a few times. The SWR was good for Hi-Phone..I operate CW, RTTY
and SSB.

If you need a good muliband antenna with WARC. I would recommend the F12 XR-5.

Hope this helps -Tom KA2D