[Towertalk] 40 meter antennas

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] 40 meter antennas
From: JBaumgarte@aol.com (JBaumgarte@aol.com)
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2002 15:10:48 EDT
In a message dated 4/7/2002 10:35:35 AM Central Daylight Time, K7LXC@aol.com
writes:

> >  Mosley        1 vote
> >
>     Har har - good one. (Just a generic Mosley comment.)

Steve,

I wonder if you've actually tried one of these (Mosely 2 el 40)?  I share
your opinion of most of the other Mosely antennas, but want to share my
results with this rather unusual antenna.  I acquired one by accident with a
bunch of used Rohn 55 in a package deal.  The antenna was new.  Although this
antenna has been a mechanical nightmare, the performance has truly been
outstanding.  Once I converted to a F12 mast/boom HD clamp (the antenna fell
off the mast), and improved the mast to element clamps (they rotated to
vertical twice), it now is fine.   I have it at 125' at the top of a stack of
lower F12 antennas, and I feel as strong with this antenna on 40 as anything
else I have (C31XR & 180C for 80).  It does things like allowing us to run to
EU before the sun sets (from northern MN) and one of my ops who has run a
station with a 150' high Telerex 3, says he does at least as good here.  It's
a bit of a big antenna for a "shorty-40" and heavy, but it is one Mosely I
don't think you can bash. (except mechanically! :-)  )

Thanks for your efforts in keeping "towertalk" so usefull and interesting.

John, N0IJ
Duluth, MN