[Towertalk] Equipment enclosures

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Equipment enclosures
From: shr@ricc.net (W0UN--John Brosnahan)
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 07:20:19 -0500
At 11:09 PM 4/9/2002 -0500, Ken \"AB5A\"  Eckel Jr. wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I am in the market for an equipment enclosure.  I'm interested
>in one of the Rohn concrete  or steel structures.  I'm sure they are
>expensive. Just how expensive are they?   Can you find one used
>or at auction?
>
>Ideas?
>
>Ken AB5A

Ken--the cheapest way to do this from my experience is to buy
a shipboard container and outfit it the way you want.   The cargo
containers are typically made of steel although aluminum (armored)
and fiberglass are also available at times.

I have found very good condition containers for $1500 for a 20 ft one
and $2000 for a 40 ft one.  I have installed studs and paneling,
carpet, and lighting in the ceiling relatively inexpensively.  And I
usually build a wall with a door inside the double doors or in place
of the double doors.  If you keep the original double doors you
can close up the container and ship it worldwide at a relatively
low cost.

I have a couple of photos I can send to you.   For about $4000 total
in materials you can end up with a nice 20 ft building that is very
secure and rugged.

We have used this technique for both communications buildings
and as moveable research sites for radar and ionospheric sounder
systems.

John   W0UN