[Towertalk] equipment enclosures

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] equipment enclosures
From: ke3q@msn.com (RICHARD BOYD)
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 12:10:21 -0400
I think used Rohn or other commercial equipment shelters are sometimes av=
ailable used and perhaps inexpensively from your local tower installer co=
mpanies -- they are on all these tower sites all the time and often have =
the opportunity to haul away stuff like that that's no longer wanted.  A =
factor on price, of course, is how well you know your local tower riggers=
.  Maybe K7LXC is right about needing a crane and I'm sure they're heavy,=
 but I've had some serious heavy stuff in that size range moved successfu=
lly by a "Jerr-dan" "rollback truck."  If such a truck can back up to you=
r site to unload, it might be able to transport it for you.

At WP3R we have a used Andrews 8x10' shelter, all fiberglass, and a used =
Army trailer acquired by WA3FET locally.  Nothing fancy but they do the j=
ob and I expect the price was right.

Another friend of mine, N3ORY, who is an expert scrounger and into such t=
hings, says, like W0UN did, the international shipping containers are abo=
ut the most secure solution -- almost impregnable.  And, in a port city l=
ike Baltimore here if you're willing to take a beat-up one that's otherwi=
se serviceable, I think they are available "down at the docks" for hundre=
ds of dollars, not thousands.  That's what I'm told.

Rich Boyd

KE3Q/W3AO

multipart/alternative
  text/html