[Towertalk] Grounds, UFER grounds

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Grounds, UFER grounds
From: jimlux@earthlink.net (Jim Lux)
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 20:47:59 -0700
Nope.. I haven't tried it for RF (got a standard ground rod hammered into
the ground).. My house's electrical service, though, does use a UFER ground.
A bit of web searching should turn up some info on RF properties though..
Lightning protection and RF are very similar applications...

I was more interested in pointing out that the surface area of a ground rod
isn't all that huge... so a buried 2x2 foot copper plate could actually be a
"better" ground...

A lot also depends on where your water table is, how wet the soil is,
capacitive coupling, etc.