[Towertalk] Re: Prosistel Rotors....Loctite Info

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Re: Prosistel Rotors....Loctite Info
From: BobK8IA@aol.com (BobK8IA@aol.com)
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 03:29:19 EDT
>Sounds strange a thing like this would happen. In any case
>there a "loctite" that can be used to secure those hex screws,
>you can get loctite that is so strong that it will be impossible
>to unscrew those screws without breaking something, not a
>difficult problem to fix at all.

>Jim SM2EKM

-------------

Hi ALL;

Jim is correct. There is Loctite for almost any size fastener one will
encounter. My other hobby is repairing/modifying/restoring motorcycles,
something I have been doing for many years now. Five different grades of
Loctite are used in my garage.

1) Loctite Threadlocker 222MS Purple - Recommended for small fasteners up to
1/4" (6mm) diameter and larger componenets that require occasional
readjustment. Allows disassmbly with hand tools.

2) Loctite Threadlocker 243 Blue (old #242) - Medium strength thread locking
adhesive for 1/4" thru 3/4" (6mm to 20mm) diameter fasteners. Parts can be
separated with hand tools.

3) Loctite Threadlocker 271 Red - This stuff is fairly permanent and requires
much effort to remove. It is used for permanently locking studs and press fit
assemblies, replacing set screws and snap rings etc in the
motorcycle/automotive world. In the past 25 yrs I have neve seen anything
come loose after an application of "Red".

4) Loctite Threadlocker 290 Green - Used on fasteners from #2 to 1/2" (2.2 to
12mm). Localized heating and hand tools are needed for disassembly.

5) Loctite Threadlocker 262 - Used on 3/8" to 1" fasteners that must
withstand unusually heavy vibration, shock, or extreme chemical/environmental
conditions. Localized heating and hand tools are needed for disassembly.

All the above come in small 6ml tubes, available nearly anywhere, and larger
containers for shop use.

I hope this info helps.

Bob K8IA
Michigan USA