[Towertalk] TH11 SWR problem solved, thanks

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] TH11 SWR problem solved, thanks
From: DK2GZ@aol.com (DK2GZ@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 17:31:23 EDT
Hello again,

here is the TH1DXS story by Emil, DJ4PI:
(yous can see the antenna at:       http://www.qsl.net/dj4pi     )

in April 1994 I bought at W9ADN, COM Carter in LOCK port Ill
a HYGAIN Beam TH11DXS, it was at that time and still is today the best
5band antenna. The antenna worked perfectl until February 2002.

In February the SWR was intermittent and getting worse, particularly on the=20
10m and 15m band,=20
it varied from 1.2 to 3,0 which could be also noticed during RX
and I noticed also a strong signal fading on the s-meter.

During strong wind and also by rotating the antenna this could also be=20
observed.

What to do?

I openend the traps 15D, 20D, 17D, but there no insects inside,
all the screws were tight!=20
The traps were in ufb condition and there was no no oxidation process!

So I went on looking.

I checked the 5 driven elements 20DE up to F10DE and there I found the fault=
!

In the course of time by the acid rain etc. the connected aluminum pipes=20
did oxidize und didn=B4t give an accurate galvanic connection anymore.

Also the "ALL Stainless steel clamps" did have an oxide film.

I solved this problem with additonal "ALL Stainless steel tapping screws"
at each hose clip (clamps) of the driven elements.

That was it!!!

The antenna has a perfect SWR again on all bands and works perfectly.

I would like to say thank you to all the OM's for their valuable advices.

Special thanks to:
=20

K1VR,=20
W1WEF,=20
N4ZR,=20
K7LXC,=20
KB9CRY,=20
K0TO=20

and Harry, DK2GZ who translated this report into English for me.

vy 73 de Emil DJ4PI.

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---