[Towertalk] Hy-Gain balun question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Hy-Gain balun question
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 23:04:36 EDT
In a message dated 4/23/02 3:42:33 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
ditzian@alltel.net writes:

> I have a TH6DXX that suddenly went bad. I found a problem with a
>  barrel connector and replaced it, while the coax seemed to be OK.
>  However, after using the coax for ten years, I decided to replace it
>  with a single run, and I have some Davis RF 9914F on order.
>
>  The BN-86 balun, however, is a question. I hate to butcher it to open
>  it, but it is in question. I put things back together with a new
>  barrel connector but the SWR is now higher than it used to be. It
>  could be that the tower is at 20 feet instead of 60 feet. It could be
>  that the old coax is at fault (I just ordered the 9914F), and it
>  could be that there is a balun problem.
>
>  (1)  Can the BN-86 voltage balun be replaced with a W2DU-style current-
>  choke balun?

    Sure. A balun is a balun is a balun but sometimes matching the
manufacturer for both balun and antenna seems to work better. I substituted a
W2DU for a BN2000 on a TH7 and the swr went up slightly so we went back to
the BN2000.

>  (2)  Is there an advantage in using both?

    Both? You mean in series? Not that I'm aware of.

    BTW the BN-86 is a well known balun "fuse". It runs fine at less than
legal power but pops when you put a couple of extra watts thru it.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH