[Towertalk] Grips vs clamps?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Grips vs clamps?
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 12:54:05 EDT
In a message dated 4/25/02 8:21:54 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
brewerj@squared.com writes:

> Any sage advice as to whether to use grips or clamps to secure
>  guy wire to tower/turnbuckle/guy anchors?

    No one uses clamps anymore. They're time consuming and you have to be
contientious about tightening them (they have been known to loosen up).
Turning back EHS is also a pain so skip the clamps and go directly to
Preforms.

>  If grips are the way to go, are there instructions on the web?

    Hmm, you could try the Preformed Line Products website but I don't know
specifically. You might check the TT archives at www.contesting.com - this
has been discussed before and I have written it up a couple of times. If you
still need help, let me know and I'll see if I can email you some specifics.
BTW they're easy to put on once you get the hang of them.

>  Also, is there any good place on the web to buy guy wire? ( I was
>  hoping a local like Graybar might carry it, but havent found it yet!)

    You need EHS (extra high strength) guy material. It's not common so
Graybar or other electrical suppliers won't have it. You could do a web
search for EHS but Texas Towers and other tower suppliers have it. It's heavy
for shipping but UPS is reasonable and besides, what choice do you have if
you need it?

    Also, you can only use EHS Preforms for EHS . DO NOT use non-EHS grips
for EHS applications even if the wire is the same size.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH -
Professional tower services