[Towertalk] more guying questions

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] more guying questions
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2002 01:51:00 EDT
In a message dated 4/26/02 8:29:27 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
brewerj@squared.com writes:

> I'm looking though some catalogs regaridng "dead ends" since the
overwhelming
> response
>  to my question about dead ends vs. cable clamps was "go with the dead
>  ends!"

    What do you suppose that "dead ends" refers to?

    For utility-type applications, there are a number of wire terminations of
which Preformed grips are one.

    Don't forget that if you're using factory specified EHS guy cable, then
you can ONLY use EHS Preforms.

>  I see in the Graybar catalog, there's two galvanizing finishes available.
>  Do I want "b" or "C"?

    Galvanized finishes for what? Dead ends? There is only one Preform for
EHS applications so there's no choice of anything for it. You're looking at
something different.

>  On a 40' tower with a modest tribander, would you recommend 3/16" or 1/4"
>  cable? Specs call for 3/16, but there's virtually no cost adder in going
> the 1/4.
>  Is there a downside to the larger cable?

    Not really - the Preforms are a little more expensive. I won't discourage
you from over-engineering your installation.

    What kind of 40' tower? If the tower specs call for 3/16 and you install
1/4, I would probably only tension the guy for the 3/16" spec of 400# instead
of the 670# that 1/4' calls for.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH =