[Towertalk] Antenna Analyzer Suggestions?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Antenna Analyzer Suggestions?
From: k3gt@pgh.net (Bob Thacker)
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 21:45:05 -0400
 Hi Steve.

I have the CIA-HF, an Autek RF-1 and previously owned an AEA SWR-121. The
Autek is good, takes relatively accurate measurements, but has some serious
drawbacks. It is hard to read, incessantly flickers, changes values quickly
and is hard to adjust....but it works. The AEA SWR-121 was good for reading
SWR and Return loss only...a good unit to do that. Several weeks ago I got
the CIA-HF with the Director software and it is absolutely awesome. I am
still finding out how to use it. It is fantastic with plots of RL, SWR, X,
Z, R, L, C and phase angle on your PC (PS it is also on the small screen on
the unit).  Recently I adjusted my shunt fed tower for 80 & 160 in just a
few minutes. Got X and R equal which means resonance, no reactance,  and it
increased bandwidth slightly. It is well worth the BIG bucks for the unit,
however its only drawback is the very Spartan operating manual. I guess your
supposed to know all about this stuff, unfortunately I'm a neophyte compared
to W8JI, N4ZR and many others. Get that one and you won't be disappointed,
except for the manual.

73,

Bob, K3GT