[Towertalk] Out of the box antennas

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Out of the box antennas
From: mwdink@eskimo.com (mwdink@eskimo.com)
Date: Thu, 09 May 2002 08:11:13 -0700
BTW, just as a sidenote.

Before I had the C31XR I had another popular
amateur antenna.

It had 1:1 SWR across the all CW bands. Very
easy to put together out of the box. Well
constructed I thought. Plug and play as some
say.

But performance wise - I thought it sucked.
(are we allowed to say that :>)

Even with the slightly off resonance point
of my current antenna and my "perceived" lower
performance on 15M at my installation, it beats
my last other antenna by miles. I wouldn't go back
if you gave me the other antenna (which had
some very nice aluminum and now makes up
my 40M rotatable dipole.)

I've heard complaints and praise about just about every
manufacturer and model of antenna while subscribed to
this reflector. I take it all with a grain of salt.
However, as an informational resource, this reflector
can't be beat. Thanks all.

73
dink