FW: [Towertalk] How to tell if you are vulnerable to W32.klenz

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: FW: [Towertalk] How to tell if you are vulnerable to W32.klenz
From: w_mckenzie@msn.com (Warren McKenzie)
Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 23:47:41 -0700
I read the earlier post about the appropriateness of the virus
discussion on the reflector and the response. I think that it is
important that we all know how to protect our system from viruses.
However, the suggestion in the post below is deliberately misleading.
For the overwhelming majority of people, including most of those using
this forum, the command "uname", will always give an error message. This
will do nothing to protect you from any virus. The comment "If FreeBSD,
linux, BSDi, Darwin, Solaris, your computer is not vulnerable to
W32.klenz, or any other virus for that matter." is just plain wrong.
Debates involving LINUX, UNIX, Solaris, and so on vs, usually, Microsoft
go on all the time in software forums. It is an interesting and complex
debate but it gets more like religion than technology for some folks.
The post below is proselytizing. I am not debating the merits of the
other systems. Lets keep the OS religious wars on software forums where
they belong.

If you are concerned about W#@.klenz or any other virus (and we all
should be) then get a good anti-virus program such as Symantec's Norton
Anti-Virus or NAI's McAfee or other similar product, install it on your
PC and most importantly, update the virus definitions regularly. The two
that I mentioned both have large groups of people dedicated to tracking
new viruses, devising sophisticated new means to detect them and keep
them from infecting your computer and getting regular updates to their
customers.