[Towertalk] Lightning

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Lightning
From: Mel Martin" <ve2dc@rac.ca (Mel Martin)
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 06:36:02 -0400
I don't agree with this at all... I've taken a number of direct hits with
minimal damage... You cannot protect 100%, lightning is somewhat
unpredictable, but you can mitigate the odds considerably.
I have a 150' tower in a very flat area.... the tower is the highest thing
for miles I've had more damage to my C-band satellite TV system due to EMP
than to the ham shack.

BTW, commercial installations have to survive multiple direct strikes....

*  You CANNOT protect against a direct hit.
It's an illusion.  You CAN protect against
secondary strikes, or induced currents in
house/phone/antenna wiring from nearby hits.