[Towertalk] Tower Comparisons

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Tower Comparisons
From: ford@cmgate.com (Ford Peterson)
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 23:10:43 -0500
Ford's question on rating 25G:

> >There is no reference to MPH anywhere.  How do I convert the notion of
PSF
> >to MPH and visa-versa?

Mike responded.
> With great, great care.

*****************
I've received a number of excellent treatises on the subject.  Mike's
response points out several important issues--all of which are omitted in
the glossy brochures from tower manufacturers.  Now my concern is to be able
to compare the various manufacturer's specifications to make a realistic
comparison.

E.g. US Tower boasts of huge loadings at 50 MPH.  I get 50 MPH many times a
year.  Twice in the last two weeks!  The 50 MPH rating is a JOKE!  Other
manufacturers, like Rohn, will rate them at 70, 80, 90, even 110 MPH.
Making a realistic comparison is difficult unless you have the blueprints
and know how to read them...

Short of hiring a PE, what's a tower owner wanna-bee to do?

Ford-N0FP
ford@cmgate.com