[Towertalk] Really dumb question on coax

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Really dumb question on coax
From: k1my@msn.com (Bruce Makas)
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 15:54:58 -0700
One of my towers is 270 feet from the entry point (where all the switching
and grounding takes place) to the house. I have a 200 foot length of LMR600
(loss of 0.42 db per 100ft @ 30 mhz) and lots of Beldon 9913FX (0.8 db loss
per 100 ft).

My question is whether I'm better off using 270 feet of the Beldon or 200
feet of the LMR and 70 feet of the Beldon connected with PL259's and a
barrel connector.

270 x 0.8 = 2.16 db loss
200 x .42 + 70 x .8 = 1.40 db plus loss of connectors

I know that I can make a watertight joint so feedline loss should be my only
concern. I know that it is close and that I probably can't tell the
difference but which way is actually better?

Thanks,  Bruce K1MY