[Towertalk] Really dumb question on coax

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Really dumb question on coax
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 21:39:30 -0400
At 08:44 PM 5/28/02 -0400, Bill Hider \(N3RR\) wrote:
>Look at it as less than 1 dB difference.  That's 1/6 of an S-unit, which is
>insignificant.
>The 270 ft of Belden is "better" since you avoid additional connectors and
>their additional loss and failure modes (though also very small).

I couldn't disagree more.  Three quarters of a dB is not to be treated so
lightly, not in a station where all the easy/cheap dB have already been
gained.   I'm sure Bruce can handle the waterproofing of the connectors, as
he says.  With that, the risk of failure is acceptably low, compared with
gaining .7 dB at essentially no cost.

73, Pete N4ZR

Check out the World HF
Contest Station Database at