[Towertalk] Water accumulation in tower legs

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Water accumulation in tower legs
From: K4MK@triad.rr.com (M. Kent Miller)
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 00:03:37 -0400
The soil in this area is practically impermeable and drainage for a
tower base, even with the recommended gravel fill, is a problem.

Knowing this, when I constructed the base for my last tower ( 125 ft. of
25G ), I  dug the hole a foot deeper than needed and supported the base
with brick and rebar in a manner where it allowed several inches of "
free " space between each leg and the bottom of the hole. I then placed
a piece of nylon / plastic hose on each tower leg and ran the hoses out
a trench dug from the level of the bottom of the hole to a point about
20 feet away and lower in elevation . The hoses were placed in 3 inch
PVC conduit to protect them from being crushed by either dirt or the
poured concrete. Although this obviously took a bit of extra work, it
may be that someone else may wish to consider this type of drainage
system if your situation lends itself to it.

73,
Kent - K4MK