[Towertalk] Re: Towertalk digest, Vol 1 #253 - 17 msgs

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Re: Towertalk digest, Vol 1 #253 - 17 msgs
From: k9nr@juno.com (Donald L Kerouac)
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 10:21:24 -0500
Steve,
I can think of no good reason to run your feedlines inside the tower.
There is an old tale that feedlines are somehow isolated from RF and
lightning by running up the center of the tower.
Not so!  RF and lightning can't tell if the lines are inside or outside
the tower.  If that were the case, I wouldn't have to use isocouplers on
lines coming off AM broadcast towers.
The only time I saw lines on commercial towers go up the center (cellular
monopoles are the obvious exception) were when there were so many
feedlines that there was not room enough on the outside of the tower.
Save yourself a lot of hassles and go up the outside of your tower.
73...Don, K9NR