[Towertalk] 9913(Hosepipe), weatherproofing and connectors.

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] 9913(Hosepipe), weatherproofing and connectors.
From: wa2bpe@infoblvd.net (WA2BPE)
Date: Sun, 02 Jun 2002 21:33:33 -0400
I have used "standard" N connectors with 9913; I prefer the "B" instead of
the "D" version as the rubber gasket is wider and spreads the pressure of
the gasket.  As far as the center pin goes, one can file the center
conductor to fit the "standard" pin though this is tricky and one **must**
be sure no filing residue remains.  Modified, silver-plated pins (new
gaskets too) have been readily available from various sources (RF
Connection, maybe NEMAL, others).  Also, once, when I was out of both
modified pins and time, *carefully* drilling standard pins out worked; I did
it with a drill press but a lathe is better as the brass base material of
the pins loves to grab unmodified drills.  BTW, I have never used "standard"
UHF connectors with 9913; I do not feel it would be possible to successfully
solder the braid without having the polyethylene self-destruct.

73,  Tom - WA2BPE