[Towertalk] is an LP a good sloper top hat?

To: <>
Subject: [Towertalk] is an LP a good sloper top hat?
From: (Rajiv Dewan, N2RD)
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 16:22:29 -0400
I just did some quick modeling on Eznec using a 6m 30' boom yagi model I

Case 1: Only mast (tower) 45' tall, 4" dia over perfect ground, 3.65MHz
Source impedance 13.3 - 146j ohms, SWR (50ohms) 36

Case 2: Mast with a 30' boom 6m yagi just above it, NOT touching
source impedance14 - 137j ohms, SWR 31
Max current in boom 0.03A  (for 1A feed feed current)

Case 3: Boom connected to mast, not insulated
source impedance 30 + 5j ohms, SWR 1.7
Max current in boom 0.3A  (for 1A feed feed current)

My bottom line - No connection - No good.  There is some effect if the
antenna is insulated but not much.

Perhaps you could put in a relay to short the boom to tower/mast when

Rajiv, N2RD