[Towertalk] Antenna Wind Loading Calculations

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Antenna Wind Loading Calculations
From: k4zzr@bellsouth.net (David)
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2002 19:32:19 -0400
I've run into the same question myself and am really surprised that tower
manufacturing companies don't give more structural info with their products.
For instance, US Towers gives windloads for 50mph and 70mph, and if I need
to know what the rating is at 105mph to meet building codes here in
Florida - I have to hire an engineer.   I know that Florida isn't the only
state that requires >70mph documentation that building inspectors need
before issuing permits.   My hat is off to the tower manufacturers who *do*
list wind ratings of +100mph.   Why a tower manufacture would require their
customers to pay an engineer to rate their products is beyond me.   If a
tower company sells towers to hams who live in states with >70mph building
codes, they should provide the necessary structural info required by
building departments.  Of course, that's just my opinion.  :-)

David, K4ZZR