[Towertalk] 40 meters (Delta Loop)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] 40 meters (Delta Loop)
From: n4kg@juno.com (n4kg@juno.com)
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 10:53:18 -0600
I hope Tim, K3HX, doesn't mind my public answer
to his questions which I expect may be of interest
to several readers.    Tom  N4KG

On Fri, 28 Jun 2002 ttt ccccc <k3hx@juno.com> writes:
> OM,
>
> I'm interested in the delta loop you described for FD.
>
> I'd be grateful if you could answer the following:
>
> 1     How did you feed it....middle of a side or at a corner

        To obtain VERTICAL polarization, a Delta Loop
        needs to be fed 1/4 WL down from the APEX (TOP).
        Since each side is ~1/3 WL long, this is 0.08 WL
        above one of the bottom corners.  Feeding at a
        bottom corner is mechanically simpler and results
        in 'mostly vertical' polarization which is what we do
        at our FD site.   N4KG

> 2     How high was the loop off the ground at the lowest point

        Assuming the Loop circumference is 1WL, each side is
        1/3 WL.  IF it is configured as an equilateral triangle,
        each corner is 60 degrees and the height is calculated
        as 1/3 WL X Sin 60 =  0.333 WL X 0.866 = 0.288 WL
        which comes to just over 40 ft for 40M  (80 ft for 80M etc).
        Subtract the loop height from your support height and you
        will know how high the bottom wire is off the ground.

> 3     Was it with a side parallel to the ground?

        YES.

> 4     What kind of support did you use....conductive or not.

        We used 50 ft high metal lamp posts (between two baseball fields).

> 5     What were the dimensons and were these for CW or Phone

        The formula for a Delta Loop is 1005 / F (MHz) in feet.
        When one side   is close to the ground, I find that it needs
        to be shortened by about 5%.  An antenna analyzer makes
        trimming to resonance an easy job.   N4KG

> 6     What do you suppose the front - to - side figure was like

        As I recall from modeling, the F/S is pretty low, on the order
        of 3 dB.  Look at the F/S for phased verticals with 1/4 WL
        spacing and 0 degrees phasing for comparison.  You will see
        an oval pattern with very little F/S.  N4KG

> 7     Any special matching concerns?

        A 1WL Delta Loop looks like 100+ ohms which is easily
        transformed to ~50 ohms by any ODD multiple of 75 Ohm
        coax.  I use 3/4 WL (electrical) of RG59 which comes to 84 ft.
        in the CW Band.  N4KG

> 8     Words of wisdom, counsel or advice....all would be welcome.

        I think we covered all the bases above.   Tom  N4KG