[Towertalk] Anyone have Trylon Titan self supporting? Curious as to qua

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Anyone have Trylon Titan self supporting? Curious as to qual...
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2002 00:05:02 EDT
In a message dated 6/28/02 11:14:37 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
tongaloa@alltel.net writes:

> Self supporting tower. Titan 72' 44lb load at 70mph $1800 plus ship.
>  This is pretty inexpensive compared to the other 72' self supporting I've
>  seen.

    Darned tootin'. They are light to medium duty towers and being built in
Canada we have the benefit of a great exchange rate. They are THE BEST VALUE
in a self-supporting tower.

>  Have any of you guys seen or used one?

    I've installed about 8-10 of them. They all are reliable installations.

>  How well is it built?

    I saw Guy's comments on the bent brace. Well, a bent brace isn't fatal.
Heck, it's not even dangerous. I've bent several myself but other than a
questionable effect on tower aesthetics, who cares?

    The Trylon Titan towers are perfectly suitable for what they're
advertised as.

    The AN towers cost more because they WEIGH more. I saw an AN tower in
person at Dayton and IMO it's WAY overkill for most ham installations. If you
want to hang a couple of big microwave dishes on it or maybe a 75M beam -
it's perfect.

    I'm not here to sell Trylon towers (although I wouldn't mind if someone
bought one). These are my professional tower installer opinions. I've worked
on over 175 ham installations and dozens of commercial ones so I'm very well
qualified to offer this perspective.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
Champion Radio Products