[Towertalk] 20m Antennas for sailing

To: <>
Subject: [Towertalk] 20m Antennas for sailing
From: (
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2002 07:21:10 -0700
Michael McAmis
I used to have a 45 foot ketch and tried many different antennas over
the years but none worked better than an insulated backstay. (long wire)
The antenna isn't the hard part the counterpoise is. A sail boat on the
ocean is floating on a great counterpoise the trick is connecting to it.
There are grounding through hull fittings made for the job they have a
porous texture and equal a large area. (magic)Next problem is the feed
line many boaters will use coax from a tuner, at the rig down below, and
just use the center conductor. In fact I did it that way for many years
but when the SGC tuner came out I located it just under the deck at the
backstay and ran a feed line from it to the backstay this combination
was the best. The other suggestion I have is to leave the lower
insulator low enough to reach the connection to the backstay is
impossible to waterproof or protect from corrosion occasional cleaning
worked best for me.