[Towertalk] Shunt-Fed Tower EZNEC Simulation

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Shunt-Fed Tower EZNEC Simulation
From: k2av@contesting.com (Guy Olinger, K2AV)
Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2002 15:01:57 -0400
The tower resonance is the tower resonance, period. Nothing changes
that. That is a frequency at which RF current flows most easily in the
tower/antenna combo.

Everything else is forcing energy into the system at a non-resonant
frequency, transforming impedance, and tuning out the reactance. This
will require devices (in addition to a tap and drop wire) for sure. Or
another way of looking at it is that you will require a TUNER at the
end of a tap and drop wire.

Certain tap heights, and drop wire spacing on a given tower will allow
the TUNER to be as simple as a series capacitor, but whatever you do
will be forcing energy into a non-resonant system and tuning for match
to the feed coax.

Don't look for SWR at the end of the tap wire, that doesn't mean dink
in a non-resonant system. Look for Z=X+jY on your intended operating
frequencies that will allow you a straight-forward, and easily
switchable tuning device. There are a number of excellent ways to
accomplish this. Gamma and Omega match seem to be the most-touted
means.

Note also that once matched, almost anything you do on the tower will
require a rematch.

73, Guy