[Towertalk] EXACT resonant freq of a dipole --> AEA CIA HF analyzer?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] EXACT resonant freq of a dipole --> AEA CIA HF analyzer?
From: richard@karlquist.com (Richard Karlquist)
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2002 08:33:55 -0700
I wanted to EXACTLY  measure the frequency
of verticals.  What I did was to build a
very simple noise bridge with only an
adjustable resistor, but without the adjustable
capacitor (and its fixed mate on the other
side of the bridge).  Then what I did was
to null with a combination of varying the pot and
varying the frequency until I got 60 dB or
so of nulling.  I used a signal generator
with sine wave output instead of a noise
generator, because of the need for the
extra dynamic range.  This has an accuracy
in the 10 kHz class that you wanted.

For a wire dipole, you will have to
make a balanced version of this (can't
just put a balun in front of an unbalanced
bridge).  I once built a balanced impedance
bridge for measuring 450 ohm open wire line.

If you just want to measure velocity, it
would be a lot simple to do it with a wire
vertical, even if the final application is
a dipole.

Rick Karlquist    N6RK
richard@karlquist.com
www.n6rk.com