[Towertalk] Inv L

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Inv L
From: k2av@contesting.com (Guy Olinger, K2AV)
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 22:26:00 -0400
Then there is this business of just HOW you DEFINE an Inv El.

Take an antenna that is fed at the ground, against adequate ground, up
67' and out 67' or thereabouts.

Well, that is a 1/4 wave of wire on 160, up 1/8 and out 1/8. Low Z, 25
ohms if you got a good radial system. As good as your radial system.
Behaves like a regular vertical with a minor amount of horizontally
polarized high angle radiation. ALSO...

Feed it at the bottom, moderately hi Z, on 80, 40, 30. Series R losses
in the ground are minimized, and this configuration will forgive some
fairly crappy ground systems on 80,40,30.

On 80 meters, 1/4 wave up and 1/4 wave out, this antenna has a
hemispherical pattern, decent for BOTH DX and local, especially if
it's what you can put up. Current max is around the bend in the wire.

On 40 meters, 1/2 wave up and 1/2 wave out, it acts like the
horizontal part is a dipole, with a single wire feedline/transformer
up to one end of the horizontal. The vertically polarized signal is
cancelled out (non-intuitive, but check it out). Has same pattern as
dipole at 66 feet, pretty good antenna broadside.

On 30 meters, ~3/4 wave up and 3/4 wave out, it is a decent,
relatively low angle omni directional antenna. Nice bonus.

Particularly with a good ground system for 160 the 67/67 Inv El is a
four band antenna.

You can certainly do better than 1/8 wave up and 1/8 wave out on 80
meters.

But if you were talking about 1/4 wave up and 1/4 wave out on 80, this
is definitely competition for an inv vee with the apex at 67 feet, and
for DX, competition for a dipole at 67 feet. And it's useable on three
other bands.

On 160, 67 up and 67 out is definitely an inverted L

On 80, is 67/67 an inverted L? On 40, on 30?

Still LOOKS like an "L", doesn't it. Or stated otherwise, does making
an L large make it not an L?

Can't say an 80 Inv El was a crappy antenna until you specify which
one you meant.

73 from obfuscation central.