[Towertalk] 40M Dipoles (Was: Need EZNEC model 402CD..)

To: <>
Subject: [Towertalk] 40M Dipoles (Was: Need EZNEC model 402CD..)
From: (
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 04:59:44 -0600
On Tue, 9 Jul 2002 "Tom Rauch" <> writes:

> Receiving performance should not be discounted when picking
> an  antenna, especially on a trashy sky-wave band like 40.
> 73, Tom W8JI

To my mind, the BEST solution for 40M is to pick the BEST
antenna possible for TRANSMIT and use separate receiving
antennas if noise (atmospheric or local) is a serious concern.

For city lot dwellers, this may well mean a rotary dipole for
transmit and various loops, flags, pennants, or even (short)
phased verticals for receive.

When I had my 2L Delta Loop at 120 ft, I OFTEN listened on
my Beverages to pull weak EU callers out of the noise since
the Beverages were so much quieter.  I believe W4AN also
used phased Beverages to listen on 40M in spite of having
BIG transmit antennas available.

Tom  N4KG