[Towertalk] rope

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] rope
From: aa4lr@arrl.net (Bill Coleman)
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 19:14:16 -0400
On 6/13/02 7:47 PM, Mike & Coreen Smith at ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca wrote:

>I've got a chunk of nylon rope as a boom support on a 24' boom 6m yagi and
>it's approaching 10 years old and going strong.

Both nylon and poly rope will deteriorate with the Sun's UV. Nylon takes
longer. I've had nylon ropes under my airplane for three or four years
before they deteriorated sufficiently to replace. Poly rope would not
have lasted a year in the hot GA sun.

Some synthetic ropes (Nylon, Dacron, etc) designed for outdoor use have
UV inhibitors for this reason. Makes them last 10 years instead of 3.

            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901