[Towertalk] here's one worth echoing

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] here's one worth echoing
From: jljarvis@adelphia.net (jljarvis)
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 20:54:04 -0400
-0-
Another trick is to use a snatch block at the bottom of the tower for the
pull line from the gin pole. Enlist three or four volunteers and have them
walk with the line away from the tower instead of hand-over-hand pulling.
Less work and the crew gets progressively further from the tower and out of
harms way.

Tom, K5RC

-0-

A snatch block, for the non-sailors among us, clips to the tower, and
can open or close around a line under strain.   It's a perfect way
to translate the ginpole pull from vertical to horizontal, at the
tower base.

Among other things, it keeps the ginpole load vertical, and minimizes
bending loads on the ginpole tube.   It also gets personnel out of
the way of falling tools, and improves footing when pulling.

Good point, Tom.

Not only do I use 'em here...I carry one and a spare sheet in
my sailing bag.  A short sheet and a snatch block solve a myriad
of problems.

Jim N2EA