[Towertalk] Re: [Amps] Mica Capacitors

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Re: [Amps] Mica Capacitors
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2002 14:50:32 -0400
At 12:23 PM 7/14/02 -0400, Tom Rauch wrote on the Amps reflector:
>The mica caps used in old sets like that are very good RF capacitors.
>They are conservatively rated, so you can push them over the rating
>by a reasonable margin.
>
>You probably are safe up to about 3000 volts RMS, unless you want to
>be sure to have 100% no failures ever.

Conversely, would I be safe in assuming that the EIA Class 2 3000V-rated
disk ceramics in, for example, Mouser's catalogue (10% Y5P temperature
coeff.), would be usable, for example, as compensating caps in UNUN
transformer usage, with amateur power levels, at 50 or 75 ohms?

73, Pete N4ZR

Check out the World HF
Contest Station Database at
www.pvrc.org