[Towertalk] 20M Yagi ?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] 20M Yagi ?
From: i4jmy@iol.it (Maurizio Panicara)
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 19:54:29 +0200
Bill,

I meant the situation as a 200/300 ft drop, a wall as it happens in
proximity of a cliff edge, then a smoother but consistent terrain slope to a
total amount of 800 ft.
Having tested something similar on 20 15 and 20m, I can promise that or You
move back the tower with antennas from the cliff edge some WL to set the
first reflection on the terrain where the tower is, or the reflection you
look for to fill the null would not occurr.
In other words and elements detuning problems apart, it's totally useless to
have a lower antenna (unless the antenna is too low) if the terrain doesn't
extend enough to insure the reflection you need.
In such case the tower height is almost neglectable compared to antennas
effective height.
This is an intuitive geometrical fact, also perfectly confirmed by any of
the software you mentioned: what counts is not the ground exactly below the
antenna tower but away enough, where the reflection you are looking for
occurs.

73,
Mauri I4JMY