[Towertalk] Newbie Question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Newbie Question
From: n4kg@juno.com (n4kg@juno.com)
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 06:32:58 -0600
There are several ways to use 75 Ohm CATV Hardline in 50 ohm systems.

The simplest method is to use a multiple of 1/2 Wavelength (electrical)
since impedances repeat every 1/2 WL in a transmission line.  This works
well on narrow bands (15, 20M)) where the bandwidth is less than 3% of
the center frequency.  I use this approach on all (5) of my monobanders.

On 10M, the bandwidth for DX (28000 to 29.1) is 4%.  Same 4% BW
is needed for 40M (7000 to 7300). If the line length is 6 wavelengths
(~180 ft) there will be an electrical difference of 1/4 WL between 28.0
and 29.1 meaning that a 50 ohm load will present 50 ohms at the other
end of the feedline if tuned for 28.0 BUT will transform to 100 ohms at
29.1.

A good Broadband SINGLE BAND solution is to use an 'inline' transformer
made of 0.08 WL of 75 ohm coax followed by 0.08 WL of 50 ohm coax
to ANY length of 75 ohm CATV Hardline.  One 'in line' transformer will
be needed at BOTH ends of the hardline.  The 50 ohm line is connected
to the hardline at each end.

A good Broadband MULTI-BAND solution is to use toroidal transformers
designed to transform 50 ohms to 75 ohms at each end of the CATV
Hardline.  Any length of hardline may be used with this solution.

Tom  N4KG