As I patiently wait for my new HDX-555 tower to arrive, my thoughts have
drifted away from what size conduit to use or how to pour concrete, to what
HF antennas I'll be erecting. My operating habits consist of working toward
my DXCC Honor Roll (313 confirmed) and 5BDXCC, with a smattering of SSTV,
RTTY and ragchewing.
I operate 70% of the time on 20mtrs with the remaining 30% divided between
10, 15, 40 and 75. I'm replacing a 5 element tribander.
Here's what I'm considering at this point for the new 55' tower with a 20'
Hygain 5 el 20mtr monoband Hygain 205CA at 60' 6.5dBd
Hygain 10/15mtr duobander Hygain DB1015 at 72' 5.2dBd
Force12 C-31XR at 60' for 10/15/20mtrs 6.0dBd on 20mtrs
6.3dBd on 15mtrs
7.4dBd on 10mtrs
Hygain TH-11DX at 60' 10/12/15/17/20 6.4dBd on 20mtrs
6.2dBd on 17mtrs
5.9dBd on 15mtrs
5.3dBd on 12mtrs
7.0dBd on 10mtrs
I've had a HyGain TH-6DXX, 205CA and DB1015 in the past and never had any
problems. I've also heard good things about the Force12's but I've also
heard the rivets sometimes work loose. For multiband coverage, it sure
appears that the TH-11DX would be ideal but I'm open for suggestions.
P.S. As per all of the suggestions, I added a 2 1/2" underground conduit
next to the 1 1/2" conduit so I should have plenty of room for cables now.
I'm also working up a webpage with photos of preparing the tower base (me
digging with a mini-backhoe!, rebar and concrete pouring....