[Towertalk] bulkhead ground system

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] bulkhead ground system
From: n2mg@eham.net (Mike Gilmer, N2MG)
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 16:21:39 -0300
AA6TT wrote:
> > I'm looking for comments on this setup before it's built.  Should
> > I be concerned about bolting the copper feed thru panel
> > directly to my garage's wood frame -- is this a fire hazard?

K7LXC replied:
> Yes. This is the Single Point Ground System main connection to
> ground and any lightning transients will be going through it to
> ground so I'd keep it away from anything that it would arc to.

I was considering a similar arrangement: an Al plate with bulkhead UHF
connectors mounted to the aluminum siding of my garage - backside of
which poking into the garage - all perhaps connected to the service
ground (with a few more ground rods added).  But this thread has me
rethinking it.  I'm not in lightning country, but we do get it often
enough to take seriously.  Now it seems that I need to build some sort
of stand-alone arrangement that is not attached to (but near) the house
in order to effect the SPG.  Perhaps a plate on a post (with suitable
wx-proofing)?

Mike
n2mg@contesting.com