[Towertalk] grounding system

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] grounding system
From: glittle@awod.com (Glenn Little)
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2002 17:03:06 -0400
Concerning the aluminum panel, dissimular metals come to mind.  Aluminum
oxidizes as fast as you clean it.  You will have to do some special preps
to the aluminum panel for the connection of the brass connectors.

In a professional installation, there would be a ground ring around the
tower and another around the building. These ground rings would be bonded
together and bonded to the service entrance ground.  Acording to some data
that I got from a surge suppressor company concerning lightning induced
voltages, a lightning strike one Km away will induce 200 volts per meter of
wire.  The second floor of you house appears to be about 10 feet or about 3
meters above actual ground. That three meter ground wire could have 600
volts on it from a strike one Km away.  If the strike is 100 meters away,
the figure goes to 1KV per meter of wire.

Another thing, do NOT use braid for a lightning ground.  There are warnings
about this in Motorola's R-56 manual and the Mil Handbook concerning
lightning (EMP) protection. R-56 states AWG 6 inside the building and AWG 2
outside the building. Compression fittings are to be used as a last resort
and must be inspected periodically.

I did equipment failure analysis for lightning strike damage in my last job.

Any ground length over five feet from equipment to ground rod is almost
useless for protection from a close lightning strike.  It is fine for a
electrical safety ground, but too much voltage will be imposed on the
equipment for the equipment to survive fro a close strike.

Hope that this helps.

73
Glenn
WB4UIV