[Towertalk] Tower and rotator for Force12 C3 antenna

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Tower and rotator for Force12 C3 antenna
From: jimsmith@shaw.ca (Jim Smith)
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2002 21:42:21 -0700
Jeff,

Roof mount installations can be noisy due to rotor brake noise.

I have a roof mounted tower with an old TH3 tribander and Ham-M rotor.
 Whenever I turn the TH3 when my wife is in bed the clanking of the
brakes wake her up.  If I do it too often I get a phone call from her
suggesting that it would be a REALLY GOOD IDEA if I stopped turning that
damn thing.  This is very damaging to contest scores.  I recently put up
a temporary 6&2m beam on a piece of 10 ft conduit right over the bedroom
(it's a flat roof).  I turned it with a recently purchased AlfaSPID
rotor.  It has no brakes, it uses a double worm drive.  You can't hear
it at all in the bedroom when starting, rotating, or stopping.  When my
C4SXL arrives, the TH3 and Ham-M come down and the C4 and SPID go up.
 Check it out at http://www.alfaradio.ca/alfaspid.html

Hope this is of interest to you.

73 de Jim Smith    VE7FO