[Towertalk] Teflon sources

To: <>
Subject: [Towertalk] Teflon sources
From: (Jim White)
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 15:13:52 -0400
share with us Toddles...on a related matter...

I am considering using some scrap pieces of what I think is Teflon
picked up at a flea market.  I want to use them as horizontal thrust
bearings on a tall rotating mast...seems like these should be a good low
rpm choice...

The mast would be aluminum and these would have a hole in the "plastic"
slightly large than the mast...the stock is about a half inch thick and
in turn would be bolted to an aluminum plate with a slightly large hole
than is in the "plastic"...should take care of lateral movement it seems
and at the same time would not chafe the aluminum mast during rotation.

Is there a concern I should have for ability of Teflon (this might be
something else but lets assume is what the guy selling it said it was)
and its exposure to UV - a crucial problem here in FL.

Jim, K4OJ