[Towertalk] Quality of Home Center "tower" hardware

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Quality of Home Center "tower" hardware
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 10:10:00 EDT
In a message dated 7/30/02 1:21:37 PM Pacific Daylight Time, n2mg@eham.net
writes:

> I am considering the use of pin shackles in my guying
>  system and am wondering if anyone has any info to
>  offer regarding the quality/durability of those one
>  can purchase from Lowes/HomeDepot etc.  I'm concerned
>  that they will end up rusting/corroding severely in a
>  short time (even though they "look" galvanized).

    Buy one and leave it out in the backyard for a couple of months and see
what happens. If it really rusts, chuck it over the fence.

    Generally shackles/clevises aren't the weak links in the chain so some
surface rust won't hurt anything. If you're really concerned, get one the
next size up. A good rule of thumb for shackle size is to double the wire
size; i.e. 3/16" EHS uses a 3/8" shackle.

    I've found virtually all shackles useful - even the cheap Chinese ones -
and haven't had any reason not to use them.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH -