[Towertalk] Ground rod material

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Ground rod material
From: ve7hcb@rac.ca (Chris BONDE)
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2002 10:28:35 -0700
Peter:
Thank you.  The addition of the iron 'salting' the surronding earth sounds
like a good idea.  I have read where some used certain salts to do such.

I have used for other things the water boring with a pipe.  The local
electric code for house electrical service now uses a flat copper plate,
place horizontally in the earth about 3ft deep, near to the house.
(previously, the water pipe all galvo and some cases galvo ground rods).

When I put in the ground rod for my rig, I went about 4 ft from the
basement window from which the wires exited the house.  Dug a 2 foot hole
wide and deep, took a galvo pipe about 8ft long ( earth is micacious river
deposited sand)  and proceded to bang in with a 12lb sledge.  It was a lot
of work until I hit about 1ft above ground (1ft above, 2 ft hole, 5 ft in
the earth), then I hit the rod with a mighty blow ...    it just fell down
into the hole and almost disappeared.  Must have been a void in the ground
down there.  (was not far enough to be in China)  So I fished out the rod,
washed in water and started all over again with a 10 ft rod.  Put the whole
rod into the hole.  So then the bottom of the rod was 2ft hole 10ft rod
down.  Washed as much ground soil earth whatever as I could.  Then attached
another cable to that went out further and put in another rod.  The capble
was the 3 stranded bare copper grounding cable.

Now, after reading all the postings, I plan on doing the following
Put a metal plate, box outside of the new entrance to the shack, from there
run a large maybe even a couple of grounding wires out under the ground to
a place that will have, a couple of thick iron rebar rods, a copper pipe, a
copper plate or maybe a steel plate all tied together.
Now I am wondering what to do with the electrical service ground, tie that
in as well?

Chris opr VE7HCB