[Towertalk] 25GSSB New? Baseplate

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] 25GSSB New? Baseplate
From: ve7hcb@rac.ca (Chris BONDE)
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2002 10:54:37 -0700
At 08:11 AM 2002-08-01 -0400, K7LXC@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 7/31/02 4:44:43 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
>weightdn@adelphia.net writes:
>
> > Still thinking about going to the heavier
> >  bolts though. I guess that in reality the primary function of the
> baseplate
> >  is to keep the base of the tower on the concrete pad and support the
> tower.
> >  Sooo, if everything else is ok the diameter of the bolts should be
> >  relatively (within reason) insignificant.
>
>     Correct. And the concrete base's function is to basically keep the tower
>from sinking.

I thought that the concrete was mainly to lower the centre of gravity for
the complete antenna structure

> >  The alignment will certainly have to be right on with only 1/16
> clearance.
>
>     Which alignment are you referring to? You mean horizontal levelness?
>Plumb? The easiest thing to do to insure plumb is to put nuts and washers on
>the anchor rods first, then the plate, and then another set of nuts and
>washers. That way you can use the bottom nuts as leveling nuts.

Such common sense that is not common.  I really like this idea.  The only
question would be the plate would have to be thick or strong enough to bear
the weight of the tower on three points, the leveling nuts, rather than the
whole base.  This is the bases of the three legged cow milking stool.

Chris opr VE7HCB